Thinking about an online program to get your degree — either as a new or a returning student — but still need some convincing? We have the top 10 reasons why getting your degree online is better than taking classes at a traditional campus.
1. You can study in your underwear. No need to worry about the fashion parade and keeping up with all the latest trends.
2. You don’t have to worry about annoying dorm mates. Need we say more?
3. No teachers will call on you in class, putting you on the spot to answer questions. Instead, you can answer discussion questions and problems from the distance of your keyboard — saving you anxiety and perhaps embarrassment.
4. You don’t have to lug around a gazillion, back-breaking books. Your home office is your classroom, and it lives where you do.
5. You don’t have to make up an excuse when you’re late to class. For that matter, you don’t ever have to worry about being late, as you take online classes on your own schedule.
6. You don’t have to pretend to listen during lectures. Online “lectures” often include written notes or video podcasts that you can read or watch on your own time frame during the week — when you’re really ready for them.
7. You can take tests in front of the T.V. Or participate in discussion or read lecture notes or study. Wherever your laptop can go, your class can go.
8. You can “attend” class when you’re ready. Most online courses require students to contribute to participatory discussions or to turn in assignments by a specific deadline (usually weekly), but when you complete the requirements during the week is up to you. So you don’t have to worry about being in class from 10 to 11 a.m. every Monday, for example, but rather, you can have class at any time of the day during the week that suits your schedule. That means greater flexibility for your social life or anything else you want to do.
9. You can work while you attend school. And we don’t mean a part-time job at the Burger Master that you squeeze in between classes. You can hold a full-time, professional position on any shift. Because of the flexibility of the classes, you can work any time you like and take classes any time you like. Who says you have to be a broke student?
10. If you have a family, you don’t need to worry about hiring a babysitter. The flexibility of class scheduling allows you to either schedule classes at a time when your child is in school or can spend time with other family members, or allows you to stay home with your child while you study. No need to worry about irresponsible and unreliable sitters anymore.
If you haven’t been back to school for a while, you may enjoy these back to school resources as a refresher.
All images are courtesy of Chris Magher.