Salaries For Degrees in Mental Health Counseling
Those who earned online bachelors mental health counseling degrees can work in a variety of jobs. While no one can say with certainty what you personally will do with a degree in Mental Health Counseling, our survey panel picked the following jobs as likely options:
The median salary for people with online associate mental health counseling degrees is $29,808.57. The lifetime value of this degree is approximately $685,122.00.
Salaries are highly dependent on individual negotiating skill, experience, your employer, location, and more besides. The estimates we show on these pages are just that: estimates. Your individual experience will likely vary.
Where does this come from?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics, a unit of the US government, classifies all workers into some 800-odd occupational categories. We paid a team of freelancers to get their opinion on what type of degree a holder of each type of job would likely have majored in. For pairs which had a high degree of consensus, we created a link between the degree and the job.
From this, we calculated the average salary for Mental Health Counseling degrees and converted it into a lifetime value. We then compared it against other degrees at the same level of schooling (such as online masters mental health counseling degrees), so that you can make informed educational and employment decisions.
What Can an Mental Health Counseling Student Expect to Learn?
Each year, over 25% of Americans are diagnosed with a mental health disorder. As science continues to increase the awareness and validity of mental health counseling and the social, economic, political, cultural and family related effect of these issues, there is an augmented demand for mental health professionals.
Mental health disorders have finally gained recognition as real, treatable ailments and therefore under the current health care reform are accepted on insurance plans, Medicare and Medicaid, opening the doors for hundreds of thousands of Americans to seek out help.
These facts have led to the enhanced demand for mental health professionals, leading higher education facilities all over the nation, as well as online colleges and universities, to improve and develop their psychological and counseling programs to include comprehensive courses aimed at treating, understanding, investigating and developing what is known about the mental health world.
Mental health counselors are involved in almost every facet of psychological development. They offer services to schools, children, families, marriages, business and industries looking to augment production and employee satisfaction, and treating individuals who suffer from any number of mental disorders. Mental health counseling professionals offer their services to communities, families and individuals in the hopes that what is currently identified as a mental illness and the stigma that clouds the social perceptions of mental illness can be lifted offering health, hope and healing to anyone who desires it.
Most mental health counseling professionals are required to obtain the minimum of a Masters degree in psychological counseling, mental health studies or other related field. Most students have a background in psychology, social services, human resources or other human services related area.
During the mental health counseling courses, students will learn and ascertain a variety of mental health topics all while learning practical, real world techniques to offer the critical assessment and treatment of mental disorders and illnesses.
Mental health counseling courses include many aspects of
- Ethics and legality in psychology
- Psychological testing
- Understanding validity in testing
- Applications for counseling
- Abnormal psychology
- Human development
- Child psychology
- Principles of psychotherapy
- Etiology of mental illness
- Theories of personality
- Career counseling
- Assessment technique
- Advanced cultural psychology
- Family counseling development
In addition, students will want to ensure that the offered counseling courses coincide with the state licensure requirements for their particular state.
Different states have different prerequisites to become state certified. In most states, candidates for licensure must hold a minimum of a Masters degree in mental health counseling or other accepted area of specialization, and pass an exam given by the National Board for Certified Counselors.
Additionally, most states require a minimum of two years in a supervised counseling environment where students can demonstrate the ability to operate in a safe and ethical manner. Researching for specific state conditions can help students interested in obtaining their degree in mental health counseling understand the exact licensure requisites for their specific state, therefore avoiding unnecessary courses and ensuring the right curriculum are being administered.
Online Schools Offering Accredited Mental Health Counseling Programs
With the explosion of technology, many colleges and universities have branched out to the World Wide Web in an effort to offer any interested in higher education the opportunity to receive one. There are a variety of online schools that offering accredited psychology programs, including Masters Programs in mental health counseling. Some of the top accredited colleges and universities online for mental health counseling courses include:
• Walden University – This school offers a Mental Health Counseling Program that is fully accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation which adheres to the licensure requirements for many states. The mental health degree offers graduating students the preparation and ability to take state certification tests and meet the academic standards required for state licensure. Courses develop the ability to understand, assess and diagnose and treat mental health issues within human behaviors and reactions.
• Argosy University – Argosy Universities offers a variety of accredited psychology classes that can lay a solid foundation for becoming certified as a mental health counselor. The program is designed to assist students reach their goals of a career in the field of human services.
• University of Phoenix – One of the largest online schools in the United States, University of Phoenix offers comprehensive psychology courses aimed at assisting students meet their education and occupational goals in the field of humans services. While most courses are offered fully online, there are grounded University of Phoenix campuses located in states across the U.S. that offer additional mental health counseling programs.
• North Central Online University – NCU offers students the chance to learn from a fully accredited online university. Students are prepared in many facets of psychology and mental health issues, with specialties ranging from child psychology, to family and marriage counseling. Course on behavioral therapy are offered at length and courses prepare students for state licensure requirements and for an occupation in the mental health field.
Top Colleges & Universities Offering Campus-based Mental Health Counseling Degrees
• University of California in San Diego – Known for being having one of the strongest academic programs in the nation and are ranked as one of the paramount programs in experimental psychology
• University of California in Berkley – Offers a plethora of degree programs that center around psychology. Ranked as the second best mental health school in the nation, UCB offers a competitive, complex psychology program that is guaranteed to have graduating students ready to enter the work field.
• University of Pennsylvania – This University has the oldest psychology program in the nation and has produced some of the country’s top psychological minds. The mental health counseling program offered here is well above par offering students a competitive edge as they made their way into the mental health occupation of their choice.
• Harvard – Esteemed as having one of the top 10 psychological programs in the nation, Harvard offers students multiple programs that focus on psychology and mental health.
• University of Michigan – Ranked as the third best psychology career school in the nation, UOM offers students the chance to receive comprehensive psychological training, and does a tremendous amount of psychological research brining the science to the cutting edge of technology and science.
Famous Mental Health Counseling Students
The world of mental health counseling is an appealing world of study. From the famous minds of Sigmund Freud, Alfred Adler (pictured right) and BF Skinner, to individuals like Natalie Portman, Hugh Heffner, Wes Craven, Gloria Estefan, and Ted Bundy, the study of psychology has captivated people from all walks of life and all professions.
The mental health counseling profession offers people the opportunity to learn about the complexities, triumphs and sorrow that accompany human behaviors.
The rewards of obtaining one of these degrees are plentiful, from augmented earning abilities, good occupations, to the feelings of self-worth and appreciation that comes with helping people reach through some of the darkest moments of their lives to the hope and healing that accompanies the ability to proficiently and skillfully administer counseling.