Online education has opened many doors for people who either put off going to school or chose a career they later found out just was not for them. It also offers the unique ability of continuing education after work hours to those who wish to continue advancing in their current field of expertise. If this sounds like you, know it is never too late to continue your education, and lead the life you always dreamed of. One of the exciting educational opportunities available is the study of physical education.
What a Physical Education Degree Teaches
After completing an online physical education program, graduates will have an understanding of the history of physical education, philosophy surrounding the instruction of physical education, and varying depths of knowledge concerning sport sciences.
Online Academic Programs Offering Studies in Physical Education
Ashford University offers a Bachelor of Arts Sports and Recreation Management. This accredited program offers students who are interested in a career in physical education with the academic background they need to succeed.
For more information about on-time completion rates, the median loan debt of students who completed each program, and other important information, please visit: http://ashforddisclosures.com/
400 North Bluff Blvd.
Clinton, Iowa 52732
A.T. Still University
A.T. Still University offers online degree programs for physical education at level of doctor and master. To enter these programs, one must already possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited post-secondary institution.
Kirksville Campus 800 W. Jefferson St. Kirksville MO 63501 660.626.2121
Mesa Campus 5850 E. Still Circle Mesa AZ 85206 480.219.6000
Canisius University offers an online masters degree program in the area of physical education for current physical education profressionals who wish to advance their careers through an advanced degree.
Canisius College | 2001 Main Street | Buffalo, NY 14208-1098
For more information visit: http://www.canisius.edu/physed/online/
University of South Florida
Both new and veteran physical education teachers will benefit from the physical education masters program offered online by the University of South Florida.
4202 E. Fowler Avenue, EDU105, Tampa, FL 33620-5650
For more information visit: http://www.coedu.usf.edu/main/departments/physed/programs/progGOnl.html
Why Study Physical Education Online?
A career in physical education involves more than jumping jacks and dodge ball. Besides the most obvious career path for a physical education profession, teacher, there are many more possibilities. Physical education professionals work in the areas of training, sports and recreation management, coaching, and research, among other specialities.
- Teaching: Physical education professionals work in all levels of education, from pre-school to university. Depending upon the specific level of specialty, physical education teachers may teach health and nutrition inside classroom walls in addition to sports education outside and in the gym. Those with advanced degrees in physical education may go on to become online instructors in their area of expertise. The demand for quality online teachers grows year after year.
- Training: With Americans becoming more and more focused on matters of health, there are positions opening up every day in gyms and work out centers across the country for educated trainers. An online physical education degree can open doors to these positions as well as the more desired training careers in individual and team sports.
- Sports and Recreation Management: Retirement centers, resorts, and even cruise lines have a need for physical education professionals who also have taken advantage of online recreation and leisure degrees. These people plan group activities designed to entertain and promote health and well-being. More examples are: Adult Sports and Facilities Manager, Aquatics Coordinator, Amateur Sports Coordinator, Director of Intramural Sports, Facilities and Equipment Director, Fitness Coordinator, Golf Course Manager, Marketing Specialist, Outdoor Recreation Program Coordinator, Recreation Center Facility Supervisor, or Resort Program Director.
- Coaching: Teachers who play the dual role of coach enjoy a substantially larger financial compensation, but they do earn every penny of it. Long hours are just the beginning of a coach’s responsibilities. A coach must also deal with a large group of young people, meddling parents, and being on the road. An online physical education degree can open the door to coaching about the little league level.
Of course there are coaches out of the education spectrum. Coaches in either field must deal with keeping long and irregular hours, and traveling allover and often. Competition for professional coaching positions is intense. Those chosen for these positions are experienced, passionate, and extremely talented.
- Research: Physical Education professionals who hold advanced degrees may participate in research which could aid in discovering the most effective methods of exercise and movement through the study of kinesiology. Kinesiology is the science of human movement. Those in research careers help all types of people to have a higher quality of life through effective nutrition and exercise. Researchers start at bone level and work their way out while endeavoring to answer questions regarding health. This research can do more than make a healthy person now, in the future it can lead to discoveries on how to actually prevent injury and illness from ever occurring.
- Other Careers: If teaching and coaching are way out of your interest areas, there may still be a physical education career that interests you. Those with online physical education degrees may find employment as camp directors, nutrition specialists, or even rehabilitation specialists.
Salary Potential for those holding Physical Education Degrees
Salary is always a consideration when deciding on your future career path. It quite literally pays to be in the know. Your online physical education degree creates the possibility of a wide salary spectrum.
Teachers, especially in the lower grades, receive a modest income to be sure, but physical education teachers at the university and college level bring home much larger salaries nearing, and sometimes in, the six figure range. Those who manage to work in the professional sports industry will earn comparable amounts as those working in Wall Street or the entertainment industry.
If teaching is the career you choose, keep in mind that public school salaries are set by local and state school boards, and that teachers in private and daycare or gym facilities usually make considerably less money than this.
Any of the other career categories also commands a very divirgent career salary spectrum. The rule is this: the more education the position requires, and the more in demand the career is, the higher the salary compensation is going to be. So, your effort in education now will determine your future career salary margin.
Coaches, Umpires, Related Sports Professionals
- Colleges, universities, and professional schools $39,550
- Other amusement and recreation industries $28,720
- Other schools and instruction $25,740
- Elementary and secondary schools $22,390
- General medical and surgical hospitals $32,140
- Fitness and recreational sports centers $30,610
- Local government $30,200
- Civic and social organizations $25,110
- Other schools and instruction $24,230
Seize the day! Do not wait to further your education. The universities listed on this page give you the tools you need to advance your career, or to start a new one, and to begin living the life you dream of. The American Dream is at your fingertips, do not let it slip away. The power is yours. Good luck in all you may endeavor.